Sunday, June 11, 2006

A compliment

Today my brother was telling me about a recent wedding he attended. Apparently he was having a conversation with the groom's father and the father happened to mention he supported missionaries. My brother asked him if he knew me because he knows I (through my church) support missionaries as well. The father said no, but the next statement out of my brother's mouth stopped me. "So, are you going to be a missionary?" Having been down this road before, I said, "No. I just want to get married and be a good wife and a good mom." His comment was "good. That's a good goal."

Now coming from him, that was a compliment. And in a day when feminists get upset at a statement like that, it was even more of a compliment.

As I shared that incident with the camp preacher's wife, she told me of someone who recently said they just want to be a housewife too. Her response was one of shock (a good shock though). She hasn't heard a girl state that kind of goal in a long time. Most girls have a glamorous goal to achieve. They want to be a...
-doctor
-teacher
-server
-flight attendant
-artist
-architect
-construction worker
-business woman
-manager of __________ (department store)
-nurse
-office assistant
-daycare owner
-grocery store checker
-baker
-interior designer
-flower shop owner

But rare is the lady who wants to be a...
-wife
-homemaker
-mommy

BUT I DO.

The preacher's wife asked me how many children I had. "None, because I'm not married, but I am waiting for the right one to come along." The verse she then quoted encouraged my heart...

"Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart..."
~ Psalm 37:4~

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Praise the Lord!! It is so good to see young people that are waiting on God's will!! I waited for what seemed like forever for God to send me the guy that He wanted me to marry. It was worth every minute of the wait though!! I have been courting a wonderful guy for 3 months now, and we are hoping to get married in March or April (sooner if the Lord provides everything that we need).

I just wanted to encourage you to keep waiting on God's will, He will bless you for it!! :)