Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Seeking Means To Bring Them In.

I can almost envision those men as they pushed their way through the crowd, carrying a bed between them. The man on the bed had long ago lost sensation and touch and lay paralyzed --- at times shaking uncontrollably. The room was jam packed with people and a huge crowd was gathered around the door.

It was rumored about that He was in the house. The men were jostled and shoved about, each person trying to get a good position - trying to see Him. "Hey, watch it!" an angry voice shouted as the crowd pressed in around the bed. The four men saw a small opening, but just as quickly as it appeared, it filled up. Desperately trying to get into the house, the men frantically looked for a way in.

Urgency crashed in as the men were pushed farther and farther from the house. Frantically they scrambled around, precariously balancing the bed between them. "We must get in," they murmured as "they sought means to bring him in" (Luke 5:18).

Suddenly one of the men triumphantly declared, "I've got it! Quick! Up to the roof!!!" The four men dashed around the house and up the stairs. Placing the bed down, they began to uncover the roof above where He was. Pushing aside timbers and plants, the four men picked up the bed and lowered their friend down "to lay him before HIM."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luke 5:18 says, "And, behold, men brought in a bed a man which was taken with a palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him."

Just like those four men sought for a way to get the man on a bed to Jesus, so too must you and I be seeking means to bring them in. I'm sure going up to the roof was not the first option for those guys, but when they saw that the "traditional way" didn't work, they began to get creative and found a way to bring the man to the Master.

Today is election day in the United States of America. You can be guaranteed that even though I am living in Thailand, I am still praying for this election (and yes I DID vote!). Regardless of the outcome today, God will still be on the throne tomorrow. Our ultimate purpose is not to vote in a new president - because truly this world is not our home.

If you've participated in any "get the vote out" campaigns for the election, then I believe you are doubly responsible to seek means to bring them in - to Heaven and Eternity. Jesus IS coming back, and I believe it will be sooner rather than later. Just think about that verse and let it sink in today -

"And they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him."

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I had often thought of that verse and thought it seemed a little extreme to rip up a roof and go in from the top. However, after having Dillon I know if Christ were here on the earth healing people - I don't care where He was I would get there!! I would go through a roof, a window, or a basement or anything (anyone) else that stood in my way just to get my beloved to Him for healing. Those men must have LOVED that man who couldn't walk.

If I could only LOVE the sinner as much as I love my disabled son I would do whatever it takes to bring them in.