Friday, July 7, 2006

Reflections And Musings...

Nahshon, Nethaneel, Eliab, Elizur, Shelumiel, Eliasaph, Elishama, Gamaliel, Abidan, Ahiezer, Pagiel, and Ahira. No, these are not name suggestions for any future nephews! (Although I do like Eliab:D). These were men of courage, men who could lead, and men who feared God. I found all their names in Numbers 2 this morning, but their character traits were a little harder to find. Each man was chosen by God to be the captain over his particular tribe. Each man had a job to do. Each man was in trouble if he relied on his own strength, for the number of the people was 603,550. That would be one man for every, uh, uh, uh, a lot of people! But these twelve men were specifically chosen and named by the Lord (wow) and trusted to do his job completely and faithfully (another wow when you consider how many people there were).
I've often heard it said that every word in the Bible is important, including those long lists of *begats* found tucked away in several OT books and in the book of Matthew. I'm so glad that someone pointed that out to me, for I have a feeling I would have missed out on a blessing in my devotional time this morning if I hurried over those names. Now I know I don't have 603,550 people under my influence, but I would be willing to say I have 50 people I influence. I wonder how I'm measuring up??? Just some reflections and musings on my mind...

No comments: