Monday, March 2, 2009

My Anchor.

The church our team attends every Sunday is a Thai church. The majority of the people are Thai (obviously:D), with the exception of the farang group, which varies from 5-12 people. Berm, the translator who works in our office, also translates for us, unless he's leading the singing.

I have grown to greatly appreciate any singing we get to do at church, simply because some of the songs are only in the Thai songbook. Such was the case Sunday morning, when we just stood and listened to the Thai people sing one song. I suppose that's why I paid special attention to the next song ~ My Anchor Holds. The third verse in particular made an impression:


I can feel the anchor fast
As I meet each sudden blast,
And the cable, though unseen,
Bears the heavy strain between;
Through the storm I safely ride,
Till the turning of the tide.

Refrain:
And it holds, my anchor holds:
Blow your wildest, then, O gale,
On my bark so small and frail;
By His grace I shall not fail,
For my anchor holds, my anchor holds.

The words jumped off the page at me: "And the cable, though unseen, bears the heavy strain between." Just because I can't see the cable, doesn't mean the effects aren't seen. I am anchored in Christ - let the storms blow!

Those words are awfully easy to write when I'm not in a storm. But I've been through storms before and know that while it is hard, at times, to comprehend the unseen Cable, it is still true. His provision doesn't change, just my vision of it. He still promises to be there; am I going to claim that promise?

I have enough "experience" behind me to know that when the Lord teaches me about a storm, that usually means one thing: one is headed my direction:). A friend of mine once wrote these words: "For if I never faced a rainstorm, I would never seek for shelter; so if I never had a problem, Lord, I'd never seek you for an answer."

Whether a storm comes or not, I can definitely say, "I have an Anchor!"

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good post Anne :-) Sometimes it's scary thinking a "storm" may be coming, but even when we can't see or understand, we need to trust what we do know - that God is good and He is love. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Unknown said...

Love that Hymn! Isn´t it wonderful how old hymns become so dear and nostalgic when we are so far from all that is familiar?

I love that quote from your friend. May I use it? Should I write who it´s by? I want to post it on my wall by my bed. I do that sometimes when I need a lot of reminders.

"Looking to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith,"
Dani Joy