Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No Wedding Woes - Only A Choice To Rejoice!

This morning I read this verse, not realizing how much I would need it for today:

"He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him." ~ Psalm 126:6

Last Thursday I finally decided to take my winter coat to a local dry cleaners and grabbed Nat's wedding suit as well, since it needed to be dry cleaned. I've used this particular cleaner before, so the thought didn't really occur to me to go anywhere else. Actually it did because I had a coupon for another dry cleaners, but that was 20 minutes away and I didn't figure the discount was worth it. So I went to the cleaners, turned in my coat and Nat's suit, and the lady cheerfully gave me my slip with the pick-up day for Wednesday.

Sunday night I had just gotten to bed around midnight when I heard sirens go screaming by for a couple of moments. I genuinely thought maybe someone had gotten hurt shooting off fireworks and was being rushed to the hospital, but that wasn't the case. When I was reading the news on Monday morning, a particular article caught my attention: Fire in Emmaus Strip Mall. My heart jumped into my throat as I read the article and realized the fire started in the very dry cleaner shop I took Nat's suit and my coat to. Trying to be calm and not jump to conclusions, I thought perhaps it wasn't as extensive as the article made it out to be. I called Nat and mentioned the possibility of there being issues with our stuff, but we figured we had to wait to find out for sure because the holiday was still being celebrated.

After trying several times this morning, Nat was finally able to get through to the cleaners and the confirmation was in: everything was completely destroyed. Nat's tailor-made suit from Thailand -- his wedding day suit -- was no longer available.

As the news slowly sank into my disbelieving head, my ever-logical sweetie calmly stated he was going to implement Plan B: go look for a new one and keep his eyes open for divine appointments. It was firmly established in both of our minds that this was no mistake and God was going to use this mishap to get some precious seed out to someone!

Nat returned this evening with the report that no less than three people were those someones!!! As he explained about his adventures to the mall and talking to these three people, my mind drifted back to the verse I read this morning and I realized sometimes the Lord reminds me in a very clear way that there can never be a price tag put on getting some seed to a lost person.

This all might sound very trite and nonspiritual, but the tug of sentimentality can be a bit strong at times. We happened to be very partial to our clothing items, but when I put it all into perspective, I know Nat and I will be married regardless of whether he wore a tailor-made-in-Thailand-just-for-him suit or a JC Penny special.

In addition to growing in grace over suit situations, I've spent the day and now the wee hours of Wednesday morning making pie shells and baking!



I've chosen to have pies and other desserts served at the reception, rather than a huge wedding cake so of course that meant making them all:). In between all the rolling of pie dough, some family members wandered in to stay for several days, so I decided I would rather finish all my baking tonight while it wasn't in the triple digits weather-wise and no little kiddos underfoot:). The last batch is in the oven, 8 apple pies have been delegated to two of my bridesmaids, and that leaves me with 6 more to make on Friday. Overall I feel as if I haven't put too much stress on myself and now I can enjoy time with my family before the big day comes on Saturday!

Only 3 more days:).

7 comments:

Kate said...

Looks like you're a pro at pie crusts!!

Excited for you as the countdown gets closer!

April said...

Thank the Lord for wonderful opportunities to share who HE is!

ladyfelicity said...

Aww ... I'm aorry to hear about the loss of the suit!

Wow! You're getting married so SOON! I want to send you a card and something! :)

ladyfelicity said...

P.S. I also meant to say thank you for your sweet birthday comment on my blog last month! :)

Kristi said...

Mmmmmmmm, I can smell the pies now! *sigh* Three days, huh? WOW! I sure hope you have lots of pictures taken. I want to see it all. PLEEEEEEEEEeeeAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE???????????

I am sorry about Nat's suit, but like you said, at the end of the day, you'll be married, regardless. I'll be thinking of you both Saturday and praying God's many blessings on you. I know He has many in store.

~Kristi

Kristi said...

Technically, it's only a day away. It's almost 3:00 am here on Friday morning. I said three because that'st he last thing I read. LOL

~Kristi

Anonymous said...

So encouraging to hear when/how God is up to much bigger things...
If we are looking for Him and what He is up to during those times of "divers temptations", we really will be able to "count it all joy"! How wonderful to see James in action in your husband's life! Surely Nat lacked nothing on his wedding day, I saw him wearing a very nice suit... :-)