Thursday, May 7, 2009

Riding The Circuit.

One of my favorite things we do here in Thailand is a weekly Bible Study on Thursday nights. Since there are two different missionaries and several team members that all live on the same street, it just makes sense to meet together and fellowship. Of course the two ministries run in different directions so it's a good time to catch up on what the Lord is doing, to share prayer requests, sing, hear preaching and (what else?!) EAT!

With the Gaudets out of the country, the other missionary has been doing the teaching -- that is, when he's in Bangkok:). Anyway, tonight's message was so simple, and yet so profound. I learned something when I was here in Thailand in 2007. I am responsible for my spiritual growth... without the weekly dose of three church services, Bible studies, visitation, and fellowship with brethren. I thought I would share with you what the Lord touched my heart with tonight (so glad I brought my notebook along!)

~~~~~~~~~~

1 Samuel 7:16-17 ~ "And he [Samuel] went from year to year in circuit to Bethel, and Gilgal, and Mizpeh, and judged Israel in all those places. And his return was to Ramah; for there was his house; and there he judged Israel; and there he built an altar unto the LORD."

  • This cycle is to prevent spiritual burnout; I must make the spiritual cycle to Bethel, Gilgal, Mizpeh, and Ramah.
  • Bethel means house of God. (Genesis 28)
  • God wanted Jacob to dwell at Bethel -- to live there and make it his home.
  • Gilgal was a place of restoration, renewal, and being recharged.
  • This can be likened in my life to: camps, evangelistic meetings, revival services, Ladies' Retreats, etc.
  • Mizpeh was a place of repentance.
  • Samuel called a meeting at Mizpeh and the people got right with the Lord.
  • Ramah means heights/highlights.
  • Ramah was Samuel's home. Samuel built an altar unto the Lord there. Samuel had his Bethel, Gilgal, and Mizpeh, but he also had Ramah. All four places were important.

I'm sure glad I typed that all out, even if no one else gets anything out of it... God sure is good!

No comments: